Monday, November 7, 2016

ERICA'S GOT A BAGEL STORY WITH NO HOLES

BS"D


Today, I happened to see a beautiful story online from my friend Erica. Her story was so poignant and perfect for the spirit of Refooda Shelemah that I asked if I could share it here. She said yes!

This is a story about how a few small choices can restore so much dignity and bring so many opportunities for future good. Thank you, Erica!!

This morning I was waiting for the crosswalk light to change, deep in my election-flavored Monday-morning ruminations, when I was approached by a gentleman probably just a little younger than my father. He assured me he didn't want my money, but he asked if I might buy him a bagel because he was hungry. The Dunkin Donuts was literally at my back, so without missing a beat I said, "Sure. Let's go get you some breakfast."

We chatted in the line—a lucid, painful, but hope-filled conversation about PTSD, dealing with people's judgement for being on the street, and carrying the weight of his own negativity around all the time. He told me, with $3 and 10 minutes, I had helped turn his morning around. We exchanged names and I told him I had to get to work, but before I left I asked him, aside from the obvious, how I might pray for him. He told me "You know, when I call my mom she asks me how I'm doing. When I call anyone else in my family, they ask me what I'm doing. I could just use a little more love and a little less judgement from the people who are supposed to love me." If you're so inclined, would you join me in sending some prayers and good energy Jim's way? I actually believe that's every bit as powerful as a bagel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment